The application of grammar, punctuation, and parts of speech into writing is a long and often arduous task for teachers and parents alike. The most important thing to remember in motivating children to apply these skills is in having them do it often. It will not be learned by having one writing assignment a semester, or month, or week. Children need to be writing every day. How do you do that?
- As I mentioned in my last post, have a daily practice that includes a fun writing assignment.
- Have a creative writing assignment every week.
- Assign a long term essay or research paper to be worked on over time.
- Have students tell you about the book they are reading in a weekly letter.
- Do a quick speed writing lesson for fun.
These are some suggestions on how to get your student writing every day so they become comfortable with writing and begin applying the skills they have learned or are learning.