I wanted to share with you one my favorite holiday writing assignments. It is one that can take a couple of weeks to complete, and best of all, can be used as a gift for someone special.
THE STEPS FOR A CHRISTMAS/HOLIDAY TRADITION OR MEMORY
- Brainstorm some favorite family holiday traditions or memories.Examples: Christmas morning ritual, decorating the tree, making cookies, something that happened at Christmas dinner, favorite grandparent moment, a special gift, how the family celebrates Christmas Eve, etc.
- Pick a favorite one and discuss how to lay the story out with an interesting introduction that will hook the reader, a good descriptive body of the story that lets the reader feel, see, and relate to the story, and a conclusion that wraps up the story and gives a good ending.
- Write rough draft of story.
- Peer or self edit the story using a critical eye in looking for good sentence structure, interesting story and correct mechanics including punctuation, grammar, parts of speech, and spelling.
- Write the second draft (I suggest this with older students, it may be too much for younger writers).
- Peer or self edit the second draft.
- Write the final paper.
- Illustrate the story with a picture or pictures of the tradition or memory.
- Mount or bind the story and illustrations so it can displayed or given as a treasured gift.
Remember… Happy Writing!